Cannabis And ADD/ADHD

Photo by @ganjatographer

By Frank G. Shineman

In our interest to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information on this subject, it seemed sensible to give our readers some background on the maladies of ADD/ADHD.  Yes, we can readily admit that the aforementioned acronyms and what they represent are fairly well known in the U.S.A.  But for clarity’s sake, we will provide basic information on what the medical industries define them as.  According to The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, ADHD is typically diagnosed in one of the following three presentations:

  • Combined  (Inattentive/Hyperactive/Impulsive)
  • Inattentive Only (formerly known as attention deficit disorder[ADD])
  • Hyperactive/Impulsive

Dr. David Bearman, is a well-known figure in the specialized field of cannabis health research.  Dr. Bearman has extensively studied the relationship between the cannabinoid system of the brain and ADHD.  One of his most dynamic discoveries was that cannabis can provide a significant potential for therapeutic value in treating ADHD.  His incredible research revealed that cannabinoids (CBD’s) have the ability to interact with the brain’s dopamine management system.  “In fact” Dr. Bearman went on to state, “Cannabis appears to be able to treat ADD/ADHD simply by increasing the availability of dopamine in the sufferer’s brain!”. This ground-breaking discovery eliminates the necessity of ingesting pharmaceuticals such as Ritalin and Adderall.  Experts widely agree that the danger in the use of such pharmaceuticals is that they act by binding to the naturally occurring dopamine.  Plus, perhaps even more dangerous for the patient is that those drugs interfere with the metabolic breakdown of the dopamine.

Expressed in the simplest terms, it is now believed more and more that the end is in sight for those suffering the horrors of ADD/ADHD. Of course, we must include, the well documented side effects of commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals.  It is believed that this medical marvel can occur because cannabis can correct the dopamine deficiency in the brains of the sufferers.  It is in this way that boring tasks become more manageable and mood swings will level out.

There seems to be a growing consensus among doctors and researchers worldwide.  That is that about 70 percent of the brain’s function is to regulate input to the other 30 percent.

Dr. Bearman expressed it this way:  “Basically the brain is overwhelmed with too much information coming in too fast.”  In 2015 there was a German scientist, named Dr. Eva Milz who co-authored a very significant study.  One of her major conclusions was that standard medications were too demanding on patients.  But she went on to say that cannabis brought them control that helped them in life, love, and work without the feeling of intoxication.  One student even attributed his cannabis ingestion to being his main source of help in earning his Ph.D. because it improved his concentration so greatly.

Brief facts about a couple of the five cannabis strains most recommended for ADD/ADHD sufferers:

Northern Lights is a famous indica strain that originated in the Pacific Northwest.  This inbred Afghani strain has a light and citrusy flavor, while the smoke leaves a delicious pine aftertaste.  Northern Lights delivers a euphoric yet relaxed feeling, especially for those who suffer from depression and anxiety as a co-occurring disorder.

Sour Diesel is a popular sativa-dominant strain hybrid whose pungent flowers make for a lemony, skunky and piney smoke.  Just a few puffs of Sour Diesel are all you need to get rid of irritability, hyperactivity, and short attention spans.