Two Children Hospitalized After Eating Edibles From Food Bank

Two young children were hospitalized in Utah after eating THC-infused edibles. The candy was unknowingly passed out from a local food bank. Food banks across the country are experiencing a spike in need for food as well as increased donations from the coronavirus outbreak. Utah Food Bank CEO Ginette Bott said due to the need, donations have been sent out as fast as they are received. 

“These packages look exactly like regular Nerds Ropes, so it is almost impossible to detect the difference unless you look for it specifically,” the Utah Food Bank said in a statement.

“We are absolutely horrified that this product went out to any of our partner agencies, and can easily see how volunteers would not have known what to look for,” Bott said.

“We apologize to any families who may have received this product and are changing our processes involving such donations immediately to avoid this happening again,” as told to FOX13 

The infused rope candy has been removed from the bags of food that had not been distributed yet. At least three other children also ate the candy. 

Ferrara Candy Co., the parent company of Nerds, issued a statement to assure consumers that the candy was counterfeit.

“We want to reassure consumers that Nerds products donated directly by the company … are safe to consume,” the company said in a statement.